Thursday, December 02, 2010

The Last Cornish Pasty


And there it is - the last pasty made by Mum, and offered to me to take home for dinner last week. She says the mincer has finally died, and anyway, it's a big job scraping off those bits of stuck pastry from the oven tray afterwards, but a pang went through me. . .
These little beauties have been a family favorite ever since Grandma Jeffries OR Attwater popped them on our plates way back when. Cornish roots coming out in the recipe - which I discovered to be pretty close to the authentic one when I visited Cornwall myself.
Dripping is always the method of holding the pastry together, and the filling has to have swede and maybe turnip in it, along with onion and minced meat. NO carrots, peas, potato or that palaver.
A dash of tomato sauce and Bob's your uncle.
And now they're all gone. Mum says she'll be using pita pockets from now on - oh well. I guess I could take up the gauntlet.

No comments: