Monday, November 25, 2013

In hopes of a leaner frame and a larger outlook

I had not realised my weight had been gradually going up until a visit to the doctor's recently confirmed what my clothes had been trying to tell me for a while. I must admit, I shed a few tears in frustration whilst talking with my medic, because of the hopelessness of it all. Then I was encouraged (once more) by friend Jan to try to 5:2 diet she and Mark have been on for a year which I have scorned. The word 'fasting' sets off something deep inside me. When my sister also suggested it at lunch the same day, I finally folded.
I must say, it is not anywhere near as bad as I had feared. After three weeks I have lost 3 kgs, which is much too fast, but I expect it will go up slightly at the next weigh in. I have chosen Monday and Thursday as the day to have less than 500 calories, and in two meals. Surprisingly NOT like the fasts of old. I have a boiled egg usually, for breakfast, along with a cup of blueberries or strawberries. Then a couple of black coffees keep the pangs at bay along with some herb teas such as the one above. I think the ritual of the coffee/tea break can be enhanced by the clever use of keeping a nice receptacle for sipping, and enjoying it all slowly.
Since I work from home, it helps that when the hunger pangs set in around mid afternoon, I can either take a walk, or take a nap, and then it's not long before dinnertime, and a very light meal of salad and salmon or something. Watch this (increasing) space.


No comments: