Sunday, September 10, 2006

Art Gallery wander

It was a wet and windy Spring day on Saturday, the perfect day to wander around the galleries and catch up on what's happening in fine art in NZ. I must have slogged it through about ten galleries, and was almost the ONLY person in each gallery to my surprise. Still, it meant I had the place to myself, and the undivided attention of the attendant who was only too happy to point out features in the various works. My favourite first:
These are lovely layered paintings by Peter James Smith, who is a mathematician and artist, and happy combination of both. Featuring calculations and or maps of the places featured, or poetry. It was lovely to sit and gaze at them.

You can check out the website at: http://www.peterjamessmith.com/Auckland%202005.html

Another artist I really liked was more of a 'texture' kind of guy, but these grew on me, and they were huge. Bulging with material and a luminating glow. Really got better the longer you looked.


Enjoy.
Jen

2 comments:

Sarah said...

oooh, lovely.
it certainly was a gallery kinda day, wasn't it?

Jada's Gigi said...

Sounds like a fun day!