Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cycling around Tamaki Drive

Liam got a new bike t'other day, so Helen, he and I headed off in the car to Tamaki Drive for a long bike ride around the bays as far as Orakei Bay and back.
Go on - take a vicarious bike ride with us - you know you want to!

We stopped for water at Okaku Bay. . .

some REAL cyclists passed us regularly.


Rangitoto Island sparkled out there in the harbour.
Passed this cafe at Kohimarama on the way and stopped there for coffee on the way back.
On to Mission Bay beach.
Kohimarama Bay
Nice view of our last active volcano - Rangitoto.
Finally got to Orakei by and turned around. . .


Promised coffee.


Liam got his ice cream at Mission Bay - oh, and so did I.
And there's the city in the distance.
AFTER all this - we loaded the bikes up and went up to the Savage Memorial overlooking the area, where I took a fall down a ledge on the pavement and scraped both hands and knees. Sigh. At least it didn't happen on the bike!

2 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

This looks delightful! so sorry to hear about your neighborhood disturbances. keep turning...I, like you, am simply thankful when I remember at last...sigh...

S. Heriger said...

I'm envious! I used to ride in places like that when I lived in California, but since moving back to Pennsylvania, I've been confined to simpler views. I miss the grandness of open spaces...maybe I'll have to move back some day!