Monday, January 28, 2008

Summery high points of January

These are the last three days of the long Auckland Anniversary weekend. We have been enjoying some unusually gorgeous weather, and making the most of it.
On Saturday, Helen and I headed out to the wild west coast, 25 mins from home, to the black iron sand beach of Piha for a swim.
It wasn't bad. And considering the day, and the rolling aqua surf, it wasn't too busy either.
I had to take this photo of a child I passed on the way - typical of any who play in the black sand, and pretty much how I remember looking myself at the same age, at Raglan further down the coast.
Sunday, the church met in the afternoon at Helen's. Nice thing about her place is that you can open up the concertina doors and feel like you're outside.
and today, it was Mum's 79th birthday and she wanted a picnic, so we went out along the scenic drive, only 30 mins away, into the Waitakere Ranges, to a historic homestead that houses a cute antique store. WHAT a view from the front lawn.
That's Auckland city directly ahead, with Rangitoto Island in the harbour.
We availed ourselves of the picnic table and umbrella and enjoyed a thermos of tea and lashings of ginger beer.
Happy Birthday Mum.

1 comment:

Goody said...

Hi Jenny! I just went through all of your pictures and enjoyed them thoroughly! Everyone looks happily zany. I am sorry about the robbery. Makes one feel creepy! I am so glad that the Lord Jesus is your strength and your song.
Love,
Sheila