Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wellington . . . at last!

Here Helen and I are at the start of our weekend in Wellington - enjoying the first of few delightful meals or coffee at the local cafes. This one in Cuba Street.
the large suspended silver fern ball over the plaza by the art gallery
the walk through to Te Papa - the museum - and the fabulous structures along the way
the distant sight of some pacific performers about to go into the town hall
Te Papa in the distance. . .
Fish bridge. . .
WONDERFUL coffee, and how could I resist the nougat?

The entrance to Te Papa
Looking down inside. . .
Our room at the Youth Hostel - and the view I woke up to as the sun rose over the harbour
Olives, anyone?
A lost umbrella made a pretty photo this morning
We walked along for breakfast to Oriental Parade, and the fountain there.
Had breakfast at this cute little cafe, larger than it seems, inside. . .
Typical Oriental Bay housing. . .

Inside the cafe at Oriental Bay
Took a long bus trip around to Eastbourne, and the driver kindly dropped us off close enough to take photos of the snow on the top of the South Island. Yep, those are mountains you see.
Mmmmm, soup, quiche, and blueberry and apple crumble.
Helen with her back to the city, at Eastbourne beach
Gorgeous day, and what a way to see Wellington by public transport.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I do notice that in all these pictures of you and helen, there is a blank space where I should be. Seriously. Look. There is.
I know you missed me the whole time! ;)

jayjay said...

Ha ha - there WAS a blank space, and YES, I/we DID miss you. It was SO you.

Robin said...

BEN - what are you doing to me - that coffee looks DIVINE!!!!!

nikitazden said...

So, the pacific performers....that was a great shot. I couldn't stop looking at it...:-)