Sunday, March 04, 2007

Open Studio Weekend for artist in the West of Auckland

I just had the BEST weekend - enjoying the local art over two days, and getting to go into various artist's studios and talk with them about their craft. Being a fairly new-to-it fine artist, I had a lot to learn, and in some cases was too embarrassed to ask to take photos, which is why some of the best I saw aren't here. Anyway, lean back and enjoy where I went and what I saw.
I went to two studios before this one. The second was with Mark Dawson on Atkinson Road, and he was soooo helpful. Gave me a lot of tips about using acrylics and oils.
This glass studio is work by Karin Urmersback-Niersbach, and gorgeous. I particularly loved the black lampshade with the melted glass shapes that the light shone through. After seeing her work, I had a coffee at the Hardware cafe in Titirangi, before heading over to see watercolours by Tineke McLean - beautiful flowers and street scenes.
















The next art I saw -

Kieran Taylor's work - were almost my favourite pieces. Her textures and shapes on hardboard were hard to beat.
After Kieran's I saw work at 'Just Plane Interesting' in Henderson. It is an old store cram packed full of goodies, and also a packing shed serving as a gallery. Great stuff. In the evening I went with the Duncans for a picnic in the setting sun outside the museum. BEFORE heading to Parnell for a hot chocolate.



I'm making a hash of trying to fit words to pictures, so I'll have to leave it to you to decipher. These are the paintings I saw today, in company with Jemma. We stopped at the Swanson Railway station cafe for fortification before heading off to Waitakere and Bethells beach. The best of today were the print maker Rosina Kamphius, who has some wonderful 'wild line' work already published in a book. And the second to last person was Derek March, whose grandiose and huge hardboard paintings of Shags evoked some wonderful images and feelings. It was amazing how time flew. I need to add that there were some good superrealism paintings done by Michael Rowland. Anyway, this was a mere sampling. I'm swamped with ideas and contacts. Yeeha.

















3 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

Wow! I know you had a wonderful time!

Sarah said...

how lovely! I want to rummage through that shop! What lovely art and lovely stops for fortification!

Did I mention lovely?
Lovely.

Deborah Fantasia said...

It sounds like you had a great time !!
Beautiful - I just love art !
Deborah