Sunday, March 16, 2008

Light of heaven

Sunrise over Te Atatu Peninsula, Auckland
I tried uploading the beautiful music that goes with the poem below, but can't. It's the music to 'In My Life' by John Lennon.

We've been looking at the eternal things that existed in the garden in Genesis 1 and 2, and also in Revelation 21 and 22. I find myself thinking especially these days about the Light of the World and how He is the original. There's so much about that throughout both testaments. It reminded me of the words of a song I wrote when I was working from a trailer home in Maine, for Gene. Sometimes it felt very lonely, and dark, away from family, friends, and the church I met with in Atlanta. It's a prayer I do not often find myself saying but which means a great deal to me. I know, it has a certain arrogance to it, but believe me, ALL the light, and ALL the glory, come from Him, and any revelation I might have had, or will ever have, comes out of that indwelling Lord. This is true of me, the individual, and definitely true of Her, the church.
When I was reading about these things, I was surprised to see that the first thing God uttered were the words "Let there be Light", and one of the last things spoken concerning the Bride, is that she no longer needs the moon and the sun, because He has become that to her. In the middle, however, is the period of time we have here, when He has made it our task to shine for 'a city set upon a hill cannot be hidden'. Let Him shine. . .

Light of heaven, shine within me
Let your will be done, your ways be shown
In my depths I see such glory
More riches than I have ever known
As a vessel I receive you
The Light of the world, so bright in me
Nothing will be dark or hidden
Your grace is at work, invisibly

Light of heaven, burn within me
Reveal yourself, for all to see
What a shining revelation
I can know you more perfectly
My body must be broken
It cannot endure such radiancy
I will walk out in the open
with you as my lamp, eternally

Light of heaven, overwhelm me
Open my eyes that I might see
All these things that now surround me
Are shadows lost in eternity
Shadows lost in. . . you

1 comment:

Sarah said...

ohhh.
I remember.
thank you.